by Priya Satia
"Churchill was the apotheosis of the historically-minded statesman, committed to the idea of history as progress in which the role of great men was to suppress ordinary moral compunctions about destructive events that forwarded it."
by Steven Fielding, Bill Schwarz, and Richard Toye
A new book examines the ways that Winston Churchill's image has been used in British politics, not least by Churchill himself.
SOURCE: The New York Times
The British prime minister, trying to regroup in the coronavirus pandemic, wants to bury Thatcherism and embark on a program of ambitious public works.
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before: A Study in the Politics and Aesthetics of English Misery
by Owen Hatherley
Owen Hatherley reflects on the last two UK general elections by charting the musical evolution of The Smiths.
by Jason Pack
Halloween held a ghoulish surprise for American President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson. As a result of their hubris, they were both forced to watch their longstanding dreams of unbridled executive authority die in the ditch of rule of law.
SOURCE: The Guardian
by Nick Cohen
Self-interested and reckless leadership defines too much of our past – and present.
SOURCE: History Today
Featuring Ali Ansari, Miranda Malins, D.H. Robinson, and Jonathan Fitzgibbons.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Eliga Gould
Given the similarities between the U.S. and U.K. political systems and the personal parallels – and affection – between Johnson and U.S. President Donald Trump, Americans might wonder whether the president has a similar power to suspend Congress.
by Esau Williams
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, the boy who once said he wanted to be ‘world king,’ has finally realized his life-long ambition of becoming British Prime Minister.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Jesse Tumblin
Instead of solving intractable problems, public referendums simply exacerbate them.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
He has compared the European Union’s aims to those of Adolf Hitler, arguing that the 28-nation bloc is creating a superstate that mirrors the attempt of the Nazi leader to dominate the European continent.
- He Escaped Death as a Kamikaze Pilot. 70 Years Later, He Told His Story.
- The Trump Administration Just Made the Citizenship Test Harder. How Would You Do?
- Trump Hints at Another Act in Four Years, Just Like Grover Cleveland
- Laws and Customs Guide Presidential Transitions — But Some Go off the Rails Anyway
- Democrats Introduce Legislation to Strike Slavery Exception in 13th Amendment
- Washington History Seminar: Mira Siegelberg on "Statelessness: A Modern History" (Monday, Dec. 7)
- Beloved University of Kentucky History Professor Dies from COVID-19 Months into Retirement
- David Hackett, Historian and Holocaust Expert, Dies at 80
- American History Scholar Richard Polenberg Dies at 83
- What Does African American Studies Need to Thrive?