Countries must find more creative ways to depict their history than statues that glorify racists and colonialists, a founder of South Africa’s successful Rhodes Must Fall movement said on Thursday.
SOURCE: The New York Times
The statue was targeted by recent protests against racism and Belgium’s colonial history. The authorities said the statue would remain in a museum.
by Brooks Marmon
The Trump administration's adoption of immigration restrictions during the COVID crisis echoes the racial and economic agenda of the white settler regime in Rhodesia.
by Jacob Zenn
Researchers who view Boko Haram as a Nigerian unsurgency need to understand its history as part of pan-African Islamist networks; responses to extremism must work across national borders.
by David Carlin
In the 20th Century’s first genocide, Imperial Germany’s campaign of annihilation provided precedents for the racial ideologies and exterminatory tactics of the Holocaust.
by Erik Moshe
"We must be able to see and write about the humanity in both our heroes and villains."
Scholar of African history says his Jewish background didn’t stop him from writing about Muslims and Africa
by Charles L. Geshekter
"If I were to single out two cohorts whose members disproportionately enhanced the exchanges in my classrooms, they would be military veterans and strong Christians."
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Glen Ncube
But it’s one that raises many questions.
by Pearl Duncan
It’s been said that one of the reasons the Ebola virus went out of control, undetected, is because so little attention is paid to Africa. Not only is little attention paid to issues in current Africa, but very little is known about African history.
SOURCE: Religion Dispatches
by Shannen Dee Williams
The controversy over NBC's live remake of "The Sound of Music," starring black actress Audra McDonald as the Mother Abbess.
SOURCE: Chronicle of Higher Education
by Greg Grandin
Historical fact and the fiction of 'Benito Cereno.'
- Santae Tribble, Whose Wrongful Conviction Revealed FBI Forensic Hair Match Flaws, Dies at 59
- Crowd Rallies to Keep Confederate Memorial in Downtown St. Augustine
- As Divisions Threaten America, The Pressure To Cancel Presidents Is Dangerous
- Trump is Going All In on Divisive Culture Wars. That Might not Work this Time.
- Redskins, Indians and the Long Push to Drop Native American Mascots
- The Politics of Race are Shifting, and Politicians are Struggling to Keep Pace
- Trump’s Push to Amplify Racism Unnerves Republicans who have Long Enabled Him
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing