SOURCE: New York Review of Books
by Ruth Ben-Ghiat
"From the fascist years in Europe, nearly a century ago, to our own times, right-wing leaders have accused universities of being incubators of left-wing ideologies and sought to mold them in the image of their own propaganda, policy, and policing aims."
SOURCE: American Historical Association
AHA Urges Retraction of Executive Order Prohibiting the Inclusion of “Divisive Concepts” in Employee Training Sessions
In response to the president’s recent executive order prohibiting the inclusion of “divisive concepts” in employee training sessions, the AHA has issued a statement urging the retraction of the order because it is “neither necessary nor useful.”
"Provided I Can Fuse on Ground Which I Think is Right": A Lincolnian View of the White House History Conference
by Allen C. Guelzo
"The fact that Americans have not always lived up fully to that Enlightenment universalism, or that ethnicity has often gotten bloodily in the way of it, merely shows that we are human, not that it is wrong."
SOURCE: Education Week
by David E. DeMatthews and Terri N. Watson
Critical race theory, which presupposes that racism is embedded within society and institutions, is not propaganda or anti-American; it is a toolkit for examining and addressing racism and other forms of marginalization.
SOURCE: Association of University Presses
The international association of scholarly publishers calls the Trump adminstration's attacks on critical race theory and antiracism training a "chilling and frankly un-American" attack on intellectual inquiry.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Victor Ray
"Ironically, Trump’s most recent executive order banning racial sensitivity training confirms critical race theory’s central point: Racism is embedded in the law."
SOURCE: The Way of Improvement Leads Home
by John Fea
Trump and his followers want open discourse, debate, and the free exchange of ideas, but only with those ideas that they find agreeable.
- He Escaped Death as a Kamikaze Pilot. 70 Years Later, He Told His Story.
- The Trump Administration Just Made the Citizenship Test Harder. How Would You Do?
- Trump Hints at Another Act in Four Years, Just Like Grover Cleveland
- Laws and Customs Guide Presidential Transitions — But Some Go off the Rails Anyway
- Democrats Introduce Legislation to Strike Slavery Exception in 13th Amendment
- Washington History Seminar: Mira Siegelberg on "Statelessness: A Modern History" (Monday, Dec. 7)
- Beloved University of Kentucky History Professor Dies from COVID-19 Months into Retirement
- David Hackett, Historian and Holocaust Expert, Dies at 80
- American History Scholar Richard Polenberg Dies at 83
- What Does African American Studies Need to Thrive?